Re: RC: Silver State 2001

In a message dated 11/26/2001 4:36:15 PM Pacific Standard Time, karen@storallnv.com writes:

The only
negative thing that day was the horse people were trying to ride
barefoot.  The horse was looked really lame out on the trail, it was so
sore that even my junior couldn't believe the rider didn't get off and walk
it back to camp.  I guess it **barely** passed the vet check with a grade 2
lameness at the end.  But later, it looked worse and in a lot of
discomfort.  I hope the rider learned a lesson.  Too bad it had to be at
the expense of the horse, who is suffering a great deal because of what?  I
just hope that people don't start thinking they can ride barefoot horses in
rides like this, because it's not what endurance riders are about.  That
poor horse stood for hours all night with four feet together rocking in
pain.  I never saw it try to eat a bite of food in all that time.

<FLAME SUIT ON>Wasn't this the same horse who finished in reportedly "great" shape after the Sunland ride (see initial forwarded post to Ridecamp)?  IF this is the same horse, which has been reported on other lists (but not RC) to have finished "sound" (I don't consider grade 2 lame sound) on THIS particular ride, you've got to wonder.  The reason I ask is that what we ask our horses to do is hard enough -- this barefoot trend just makes me crazy.  Too many good horses asked to do what they do in pain!   No reason for it!!!  Its one thing if you ride in conditions that are very, very condusive to an unshod horse (sand/mud).  And not saying that Darolyn doesn't have it figured out for her horses and their terrain.  But, rides like Sunland and SS  are NOT condusive to the average horse (maybe any horse) going barefoot.  Can't we please, please think of our horses rather than our egos?  The reason I send this is because there are alot of people on this list who will buy into the barefoot propoganda and end up causing their horses pain without ever intending to do so.

Please, don't bother flaming me privately about this, I know lots of people don't agree.  Send your post to RC in general.  Thanks.

Sylvia