GPS use

Wow!  We endurance folks could argue with a post (...I mean the wooden
kind).  I rode only five days of the XP 2001, but I LOVED the GPS waypoints
and am sold on it.  Only half of the folks had GPS units, but along with the
downloaded info., Dave had printed out the waypoints and maps.  Like others
have mentioned, I felt more secure than I've ever felt on a strange trail.
Also, my friend Lauren borrowed my GPS (Garmin etrex legend, by the way) and
had been whining for months that she'd never be able to use one, etc.....She
loved it, too, and is thinking about buying one now!  It never occured to me
to ONLY use GPS on a "regular" ride.  I see it as a tremendous advantage,
though.  On the Big Horn I plan to have the entire course marked with GPS
waypoints, plus have a written waypoint printout like the Duck's.  We will
still mark the trail, but the BH has a long history of problems with
vandalism and weather damage.  I see the GPS markings as the ultimate
solution.  I can remember when we all rode 100 milers without  glo sticks.
Now riders whine if you don't have 300 glo sticks out on 25 miles of trail.
GPS marking is probably inevitable.  Enjoy it!  Cindy