GPS at rides

Karen Nelson knelson@thegrid.net
I also rode the XP 2001 ride, altho I didn't ride as many miles as either
Karen Chaton or Jim Mitchell.  I only got about 650 miles, 50's and 25's.
I can't even try to explain all the goofy things that went wrong for me,
including a car hitting one of my mares at Register Cliff....But that
said, I have to say that I DID NOT have a GPS, as the extra expense was
over the top for me.
I also feel that if we are to increase our membership in the future, this
can be a significant expense for any rider--new or old.
I also rode a gelding for many years who felt that if you WERE NOT holding
on to him with a death grip, it meant he could set the pace any speed HE
wanted.  I rode lots of miles on him, but I would NEVER try to ride him
with the GPS as my only means of trail locating.
I used Dave Nicholson's maps, which he provided with the GPS info, and
with written out instructions.  On the days in which I did ride. I didn't
feel ever that I was lost.  A little edgy once on the dry lake, but not
really LOSt, which is my least favorite word.
I did pair up with riders who did have GPS units, but I witnessed how
goofy the units could become when the batteries got low or worse.  I do
owe a lifetime gratitude to Tinker Hart for being my GPS partner while I
was her longhand instructions partner.  We never got even close to lost,
as far as I know.
Would I do Dave's ride again????YOU BET...In a NY minute!K