RE: Marking an Endurance Ride with a GPS

Sorry to say I am adamantly against the use of GPS in
marking a trail and requiring the use of a GPS unit in order
to complete the ride. While our By-laws state in Article V
Definitions Section 1. Endurance Riding is defined as an
athletic event in which the same equine and rider cover a
specified course of not less than 50 miles.... and our Rules
state in Rule 6d. Following the prescribed course...I do not
believe that the use of GPS was the intent.

Now you can all say that it is a good way to do rides , but
remember that it would be a requirement that the rider
possess a GPS unit and know how to use it efficiently. A
requirement not covered in our rules. Where would most
riders be if I put on a ride and stated all the trail would
be presented to you in terms of distances and compass
bearings? This would meet the By-laws and Rules requirements
in the same way the GPS does.

No, we have a well proven (many thousands of miles of
competition) way of conducting our rides and of defining the
trail. I do not think that GPS is the way to go at the
current time.

Besides this, there is the question of accuracy. I have used
a Garmin with an external antenna mounted on my helmet. This
provides the best reception and accuracy. I have overlaid my
route on Orthophotos and found great discrepancies. As much
as three to four hundred feet off the actual route I was
following. Now if you are going on unmarked terrain like on
the open plains this error can accumulate. If you are on
trail you do not need the GPS. You need good written
directions or markings. Then again, the use of GPS in heavy
over story is limited by lack of signal. What do you do then
if you cannot receive the satellites?

Perhaps I am being old fashioned but I have GPS'd many
hundreds of miles of trail with survey grade instruments and
am very aware of the problems. Had to sit waiting one day
for over an hour to get readable satellites. Would you want
to do that during a ride?

Bob Morris