Re: Winterizing for your horses

Jerry,

This is a very individual issue.  That should be looked at on a
case to case bases.  Do I think some people blanket when they
don't need to?  Yes!  But some horses do need to be blanketed.

My first 2 horses never ever needed a blanket (both Heinz 57
breeds).  Then I got my 5yr old Arab (who is now 16) and he
needs to be blanketed. He shivers very bad, and is very-very cold
to the touch.  I have tried for many years, but he never-ever grows
a coat.  He has many a blanket for all kinds of weather, for many
different kinds of New England days.

I don't blanket him in the trailer during the summer months, but in
the spring, fall and winter, he needs to have one on, he has never
sweet or been hot in the trailer.  Sultan is allot like his Mom, we
are never warm enough :-)

My new 4yr old ArabX, I can tell already will *never* need a blanket.
He has a coat thicker then I have ever seen.  I did just pick him up a
medium rain sheet - just in case.

Do don't judge all blanketed horses by their blanket. Maybe the horse
really can not stand to be cold, and the owner is very in-tune with his
or her horse.