New horse help needed

Hi all; I have a lovely new horse. He is nice in the ring, he is pretty good on the trail although quite green and he is 6 years old. He is quick to learn.   I was shocked to be informed by him that he had never seen white ground poles (the kinds for jumps) and that he finds white poles very fearsome, and potentially dangerous. He has informed me with impeccable logic, in the way that Arabs do, that "It moved from where it was before, therefore it moved, therefore it could move again, therefore it could eat me."  Cavaletti is not a happening thing with this horse at the current moment. I am worried that if I should ride on one of our local trails and come upon a white pole, I should be stuck. I could take him to a ride, surround him with white  ground poles, and keep him fenced in right there. Bears could come, and he would stay.   Sigh.   Any training suggestions? This is a new one on me.  (Yes now he is living with white poles in his corral, adjacent to where he eats, and he is just getting sad and stressed..not seeing a lot of headway)   Who would think that a horse that was born in a show barn, and been to shows, and had arenas around, would not be familiar with ground poles?  Surprise for me, I guess. Help .   Beth Glover