idiosyncratic behavior

Nellie is a 6 yr. old, purebred, but unregistered, Arab mare, grey, 500
miles of endurance.  Her "funny" behavior is to squat on top of tall sage
brush and scratch her private parts!  She is very determined about this and
will try to go off the trail to get to her selected bush.  This is very
embarassing and funny, not to mention slowing you down on the trail.  I used
to think it was just a response to sweat, but now I'm convinced it's sexual.
  Otherwise, she is a very sensible creature.  Cindy Collins, AERC #176