RE: MCL REPAIR

I am going to physical therapy for a 9/21 rotator cuff repair.  My therapist
says that MCL repair is rare compared to ACL repair and the recovery is
typically half that of ACL (6 weeks Vs 12 weeks).  The problem with any
surgery of this nature is that it takes six weeks for the body to heal and
they do not start strengthening exercise until that has happened.  In the
interim the muscles atrophy and it takes another six weeks of exercise
for them to get back to normal.

In my case, I was hospitalized for three days (pain control) and started
physical therapy the day I was discharged.  It was five weeks before I
started mild resistance exercises.  I am scheduled for four more weeks
of therapy (ten weeks total) and after six weeks can tell you I KNOW I
have a way to go.  I am still sleeping in a recliner.

After six weeks I rode my horse but could notice every step in my shoulder.
Dismounting, I hit that elbow on the saddle and feared I had undone the
surgery.  IT IS NOT WORTH TWO WEEKS TO RISK HAVING TO GO
THROUGH SURGERY AGAIN!

Those who have knee surgery and have a horse that drives could get out
soon after surgery.  My right arm is still not strong enough to hold rein and
whip.

John and Meshack (I'm getting a vacation!)
Wheelock, VT