Re: Lee's Chimney

----- Original Message -----
From: goearth
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 11:12 PM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: RC: Lee's Chimney

Hello, Within the Charter of the Immortal Order of the Knights of the Golden Horseshoe, pertaining to Historical Preservation, this Saturday at dark, we are going to light a fire at the site of  General Robert E. Lee's Camp, along with the Army of Northern Virginia, including about 19,000 men, during the winter of 1863-64.  The stones are located at the site  and we are preparing a historical preservation and reconstruction of the chimney, platform and tent that Lee would have occupied during this winter period. We intend to pay our respect to the site it deserves.  After camping out with horses and catching and eating fish and lighting the fire that has not been lit in 137 years we will have a better knowledge of our approach to this project. tom sites
In my humble opinion, Robert E. Lee was the best damn General this country ever produced.  It's a shame he never got the credit he so deserved, since his side supposedly lost the war, but he, and he alone bought the whole thing to a close when the war could have continued for much longer.

We sure could use his knowledge now.  General Lee would have bin Laden and the rest of them out of their holes by Christmas.  Thanks for your post, Tom.

cya,
Howard (come visit the South, Mr. Terrorist.  We're waiting for ya'll.)