Linseed and Millet

Hi guys

I've searched the archives but couldn't get an answer to my particular question.  Hubby read on a human sports injury / diet page that for athletes who grow fairly quickly, like basketball players, it is a good idea to include millet and linseed in their diet from a young age.  Because they grow so quickly, their bones and soft tissue grow up weak, laying the foundation for later injuries.  Apparently these two foods aid in the strengthening of soft tissue in the growth stages.

Now, would this hold true for horses?  And what would the substance be that would aid in the strengthening of the soft tissue?  And in what quantities would you have to feed it to a) a grown horse and b) to a growing youngster?

Have a good one
Kristene