Re: Re: Panic Attack/Saddling Problems

The most important advice I can give is PLEASE DO NOT HIT THE HORSE when she
shys away.   You are confirming to her that when you approach with the pad
something bad is going to happen.   Spend some time with this horse putting
the pad on and off at least 100 times.  Place the pad up on the mare just
like you are expecting her to react like an old plow mule.  Remain calm if
she shies and just keep repeating the pad placement as if nothing out of the
ordinary was going on.  You must be calm if you want your horse to be calm.
100 reps!!
(If she is more freaked out than you can stand... you may want to substitute
a small hand towel for the pad, and gradually move up to a larger towel,
then the eventually the pad... probably will be able to do this all in the
first session.  Do not allow anything to cause the mare pain during the
training sessions.  ie, no chain on the nose, etc..   I would perform this
flooding with a lead rope held in one hand and use the other hand to place
the pad.  I do this so the horse can move away if she feels like she has
to...... she will stop when the pad is in place,,, move again when you start
to place it,, stop,  move again, etc.... then she will figure out it is
easier to just stand there...... BINGO    You have made your idea her
idea!!!  She voluntarily stopped moving away from the pad..  Not because she
was tied up or tied down... she made the decision out of desire,, not
because of force.  If you can not manage this, leaving her tied will work
also if she is not a horse who panics and pulls back on the tie rope.  Be
careful.  Stops to rest in-between are ok.  A few carrots at the rest stops
( after a good pad placement with no reaction from her) would be ok.
During any session, do not stop putting the pad on, taking the pad off until
she totally ignores what you are doing and just stands there.  This will
happen, I promise.   After she is ignoring you and the pad, repeat the
on/off procedure at least 25 more times. (This procedure is called flooding)
THEN!!!  Do not go for a ride!!   Turn her out!!!   Get her back up the next
day and repeat.  Do this for at least 3 days in a row.  It takes 3 times to
make an habit in a horse (or mule).  It often takes longer to recondition a
habit already established.  Every time after this flooding procedure if the
problem ever resurfaces, no matter how slight, flood her again right then
and there..... until she ignores the pad. Then go on for your ride.  If you
really are dedicated to abolishing this behavior, do not ride this horse
again until you have the problem fixed. Concentrate all your 'horse time'
for a few days to solving this and you will get it solved.  Sometimes going
slow is the fastest way to get there.

>   But with saddling, she is terrible, and it's getting worse. > Even
putting just the pad on her back is getting to be a challenge   >
(especially if it is white - anything white seems to scare her).  The