Re: RC: Panic attacks

The great John Henry, arguably one of the greatest TB race horses ever, was meaner than a snake. They gelded him to calm him down, but it didn't work. He would destroy his water bucket in his stall just for fun. He would get bored with the routine at the track and become a royal pain in the butt. But when he came out of the gate on race day he knew only one thing - win and win he did. Only Cagar has won more more and John Henry ran in the 80's when the purses were much smaller. John Henry won on turf, he won on dirt and if they ran a race on asphalt he'll win on that to.

The man who owned him most of his career said he would not trade him for any horse. John Henry still struts proud and ornery as hell at the Kentucky Horse Park.

So yep horses should be matched up with their owners. A moody, temperamental horse can be a brilliant athlete in the hands of the right person or a down right danger in the hands of the wrong person. I should know I never ridden anything but these types :-).

So Sallie your husband may be right. Maybe he needs a different owner. Maybe a male owner, maybe not. But ask yourself, "If I have to ask the question about what he was doing is he the horse for me."

Truman

odd farm wrote:

  My blacksmith, who has been around horses all his life, and that is a loooooong time, says there are some horses that will never be domesticated to human standards and some that are mean, will always be mean. I don't know. I am not as old as he is and don't have the experience he does. Everyone will have a different opinion. Then again, I know a trainer who would read all of your theories,