Proper use of Fastrack probiotics?

Here's a stumper for the nutritionists out there:

A friend of mine gives her horse, a 15 y.o. appendix QH, Fastrack
(sp?) probiotics every day.  She said that she was told that it would
help her horse, who apparently only becomes a hard keeper in the
winter, metabolize his food better and help keep weight on him as a
result.  This horse has also been diagnosed as having Navicular
Syndrome, which may or may not suggest that there might be something
else systemically relating to that, contributing to the fact that he
has a hard time keeping weight on in the winter.

The only time I had ever heard of it being used was usually after an
aggressive blast of antibiotics or worming, in the event that too
many of the body's natural "bugs" were wiped out as a result.

When is it best to use probiotics?  Should it be used everyday?  And
if so, under what circumstances?  Also, what are some "typical"
factors that might make a horse have a hard time keeping on weight
during the winter?  He has been rarely ridden during the three years
she's owned him, so over-activity isn't a factor.

Your experience, expertise and feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Fortunately, my Peruvian Paso is just the opposite - a very easy
keeper - and has never needed anything more than grass hay and a
small amount of whole oats to keep him fat-n-happy.  My friend is
considering having her horse come live with us permanently, as she
doesn't have much time for him, and I want to know what I'm getting
myself into beforehand!

Kindest Regards,

Tracey Ritter
Portland, OR  (soon to be Camas, WA)
--
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!