stifle

Ray,

There are some good stretching exercises which could help this. First take
the hind foot and pull it as far forward under his belly it will go. Don't
force it, take what he will give. Hold for about 15 seconds. Then take the
foot back behind him, keeping the foot only a couple inches off the ground.
Again take what he will give but no more. Next grab the leg right below the
hock and raise the leg up and back so the leg between the hock and stifle is
parallel to the ground and pull back toward you. Again don't force. Finally
put the hoof under his hip and raise it directly up, bending his leg like an
accordion up into his hip.

Hold all these for about 15 seconds - don't force and do them on both legs.

Do these once a day for a month or so and then every other day and before you
ride.

This should help.

Truman