Re: RC: Text of the motions to be considered at the Nov. 2-4 Midyear AERC BOD meeting

Hmmm..Interesting that I have not seen one post commenting on these
motions. Folks, you need to look these over carefully and let your views
be known. It's time to stand up and be heard if you want to determine
where this organization is going.

Here's my opinion.....and I value yours and would like to hear from as
many of you as possible.

MOTION 13

I am opposed to the Mission Statement in Motion 13, especially as
written. It's vague, serves no useful purpose, and may cause more
dissension in the membership. For example,  the last sentence in item 1.
states:

 "This to be achieved by the maintenance of the integrity of the
priorities and protocols that have been developed in the member
countries and through acceptance of these by FEI".

This is doublespeak. WHAT priorities and protocols are being referred
to? I read this several times and it means absolutely nothing. Ride
Rules? Dress Codes? Leaves the barn door pretty much open.  Not
acceptable.

Item 2. starts with:

"Through joint liaison with the FEI....".  How about let's drop that
part? I like the rest of the statement.

In spite of the little "appease the restless natives" caveat on the end,
(item 3) if this motion is passed, IMO, we are FORMALLY  creating an
"elitist" group.....which up until now was a "perception" by many of us.

Think carefully what you do here, BOD.  IMHO, it is unwise to pass this
without a LOT more specifics and perhaps the membership should get the
opportunity to vote on something like this. Scary!

MOTION 3

Will someone on the National Office Committee Chair please post
something regarding the reason for Motion 3 on the National Championship
Ride?  What's your position here?  My gut feeling is that I am gonna get
really P##### O## about this.

OK, I'm gonna get on my soapbox...

If you're knockin' this ride and don't support this concept, I want to
know why, because this motion makes no sense. This was a great ride for
everyone, the 50 milers got to play, and done themselves proud! A
wonderful time was had by all. There were so many special moments. The
50 Mile Juniors holding hands crossing the finish, the cheering at the
finish, the crowds at BC Judging, Arco Rudy the mule winning BC in the
50....and many others.

You wouldn't believe the excitement of 50 mile riders about this ride.
Manny of us  planned our whole fall ride season around attending this
ride, plotted strategy, agonized over tack, worried about our feed,
camping, etc. This is as close to "big time" as we will ever get. The
Rojeks made it even more worthwhile by providing a "Winner's Circle" for
everyone that finished. What a great concept! "To Finish is to WIN"! We
were all on a Web Site for the world to see! Joan used up all her cell
phone minutes calling everyone she knew to tell them to look at the
pictures online.  Lynne and the Siler's were EVERYWHERE!

Some of us are "small time" riders.  This was the high point of our
year. I have one Endurance Horse.  I can do 100's, but prefer not to.
There aren't very many 100's close by and it limits the number of rides
I can do. We have lots of great 50's here in the SE, and I can do one
every two weeks.  I would miss a lot of good rides if I did 100's. My
horse is old enough now that I hope to do a few..OD, for example, but I
don't wanna be out all nite and it cuts into my "social" time. <grin>

AERC needs to sponsor this ride, financially and otherwise.  You want
more LD Riders to move up? 100's are a LONG way to go, but I'll betcha a
lot of LD'ers will look harder at moving up to 50's becaue of this
ride!  It was staffed by great people, wonderful vets, and you had to
ride SMART to finish. The Trail was challenging, beautiful, and a good
test for rider and horse. You couldn't just "race it". If you did, you
either got pulled or were extremely lucky. We had riders from as far
away as California (I camped next to Henry Christmas). Some people rode
both distances. A GREAT USA AERC ride! (OK, OK, we did have a FEW too
many dogs in the wrong places! <grin>)

Why is AERC asking the NCR for money here?  Weird! Should be THANKING
these folks and offering THEM funds! How about a FALL and SPRING NCR?

I am FOR all the others through Motion 16, although I don't think we
NEED Motion 11.....Vets do that anyway....may create more problems than
it solves.

Mike, is there a way we can know who voted for what here?  Would be good
information to have for the next election.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic