Re: RC: Dogs & Pepper spray

In a message dated 10/18/2001 10:04:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
bgloverhrsewmn@hotmail.com writes:

<< Hi ridecampers; Here in miserable southern California, for various
reasons, I ride with a cannister of pepper spray attached to the front of my
saddle every time I go out. One of my riding companions carries a gun, and we
got into a discussion about a bad dog that was approaching us one day. I was
telling him, "You know, you can't shoot that dog in city limits in front of
the owners, and their kids......." Imagine the problems that would bring. But
I had my spray out and we were waiting to see if the owner got the dog under
control, or if that dog was gonna get sprayed. The owners did get the dog,
that time. But we have had dog attacks up here in the Mtn. trails, and every
time I see a loose and aggressive barking dog, I get that cannister ready.
(Also if I see a loose and aggressive psychotic individual too! But of course
you can always ride over the top of those folks. ha ha)    Beth >>
Uh, you might want to check with your vet before spraying that pepper spray
around your horse.  I'm a police officer and we have a mounted enforcement
unit.  If we get into a situation where we use our pepper spray we must
notify the mounted guys NOT to come into the area because the pepper spray
affects the horses.   Any vet comments????

Abigail Madden in California.