Re: Re: finish criteria.

Sandy wrote:
continue.  It seems like such an obvious rule in need of change....I can't think of anything negative that would result in this rule change...only positive results as far as our horses are concerned...without compromising, in anyway, the sport itself.

Howard wrote:
I'm glad the rule is the way it is.  After the finish of the ride, there's really no reason to "hurry" and hang out by the vet check/crew area, which most riders do, because of the 30 minute rule.  The only ones who have to do this at the completion are the top ten riders who want to participate in the BC part of endurance.

Well, this is JMO, but I agree with Sandy, strictly from a physiological point of view.  Yes, it is a pain in the butt to have to hang around waiting for a horse to reach criteria...but if the horse is fit and has been managed well, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes for that to occur.  No way should it take 30 minutes and it should NEVER take anything close to 60.  I assume we're not talking about hanging around for a complete vet check, that could still happen at 60 minutes---we're just talking about reaching P&R as at any check.  Shouldn't be a big deal for the fit horses to hang around for three minutes and then be on their way back to eat and relax---those guys aren't being inconvenienced, only the hanging HRs are, *as they should be*.   Speaking only for myself, I get worried if my horse isn't at criteria within five minutes, and I'm getting pretty paranoid if he isn't there by ten (though I can't think when that's ever happened, but I'm not a top runner, either).  I think requiring a horse to recover within 30 minutes is PLENTY of leeway---IMO, a horse that needs a full hour to reach criteria shouldn't be allowed a completion, as metabolically, that horse is *not* "fit to continue".

JMO.

Susan G