Re: RC: 2 questions

In a message dated 10/14/2001 11:34:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time, karla@pcez.com writes:

Hi,
I am interested in getting into the sport and had 2 questions to ask:

1) When starting out in endurance rides, do you always have to camp out the night before a ride or can you wake up early and trailer to a ride that morning? If its within 1-2 hours drive would it be harder on your horse to trailer? I'm not a big "camper" and wondered if I could save some time and expense of getting camping equipment for my first few rides to just trailer in. I plan on 25's for few times. Also, sleeping in a tent is not my idea of comfort before I have to ride all day the next day. Any tricks out there for more comfort or am I just feeling "old?"

2) Does anyone use the Wintec Endurance saddles? I have a Wintec 2000 A/P I ride with in ring and love the easy care and comfort of it. I was wondering why no one mentions the endurance saddles they sell. I'm not willing to pay $2000/up for my first endurance saddle and don't really want to buy a used one. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Karla Watson
In Portland, Oregon

1.   Yes, you can trailer to the ride early in the morning before, but you must make these arrangements with the Ride Manager.  You have to have your horse Vet Checked before you begin the ride.  I wouldn't think it would be harder on your horse, but you would know that answer better pending on how your horse trailers.  If your not a big camping fan, then maybe this sport won't be for you on a regular bases.  All of the time you will need to have your horse pre-vetted in either on Friday or VERY Earley Saturday morning.  Might try and get with someone that has either camping equipment or better facilities for camping.  Alot of riders love to share the expenses of travel and enjoy the company.  About sleeping in a tent and then riding all day....remember you only have 6 hours to complete a 25.  Most riders, pending on the ride itself, are back in by lunch time.

2.   Yes, the Wintec will do you find as long as it fits your horse right.  My husband rides in one and he has about 3000 recorded mile in it.  No telling how many other miles it has, and he bought it used!  I use one myself on occasions pending the horse I'm riding.  If it fits the horse, then use it.

Tammy Robinson
Trail-Rite Ranch & Products
18171 Lost Creek Road
Saugus, CA 91390