RE: Re: Waste :) Measuring the Equine By-Product

But it adds a lot of humous to the soil.  So what if it isn't as concentrated as bird s...t.  At least it won't fertilize burn the plants.

K.
-----Original Message-----
From: Linda B. Merims [mailto:lbm@naisp.net]
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 7:55 AM
To: Tina Rushing; ridecamp; Amanda.zealo@alltel.net
Subject: RC: Re: Waste :) Measuring the Equine By-Product

Margaret Gardiner, one of the great dames of Morgandom, once had
a chemical analysis done on horse manure (she's got a masters in
Chemistry).  She claims its value as fertilizer is a paltry 1-1-1.

(Which, incidentally, actually is important to know when you've got
conservation commissions and forest rangers griping about
how you dispose of your manure and how close a trail can be
to natural ponds.)

I'd love to see these figures confirmed by Envirohorse or some
other horse advocacy group.

Linda B. Merims
(straining to make this endurance-related :-)
lbm@naisp.net
Massachusetts, USA