Slant-loads/head-dropping/shipping fever

Ray O. rno2m@virginia.edu
  I once read that horses must be able to drop their heads in order to
clear the sinuses,and that in long distance hauling,failure to allow this
is a prescription for respiratory illness/shipping fever.None of the
slant-loads I see seem to allow a horse to drop his head.(Is that
correct?)Certainly it is common for a horse to come out of the trailer
with hs head lowered and blowing several times.Comments?