RE: I Don't Much Like This New World

I to wonder about the kind of world this is now.  The world is changed but
there are some things that still remain.  I did an endurance ride in Nevada
this weekend and was struck on how fortunate we are to experience this.  The
sagebrush ocean, with its sweet smell of sage, and awesome mountains.
Riding my great little Arab mare.  We are blessed.
But the first great war of the 21st century began September 11.  The US is a
target because we are powerful, rich, good and blessed.  We are resented for
our power, envied for our wealth, and hated for our liberty.  These
massacres were an attempt to defeat the will and depress the spirits of the
US.
Our national symbols excite fear and wrath of those in the world that feel
shortchanged.  Anyone who has a quarrel with their situation will find us,
with varying degrees of truth, implicated in their situation.  I think that
our exposure to these emotions is a badge of honor.
But this has been an act of war.  The agents must not be pursued by
legalistic maneuvers and devices.  The attackers commanders, allies and
patrons must be hunted down and killed.  If in the process we hit a few of
the warriors who where not involved in this war, that will not be a great
loss.
Reports of dancing in the streets of Middle Eastern cities is graphic proof
that our enemies are not just ideologues or leaders.  Striking the
war-making capacity of these hostile nations may involve "clearing" some of
those streets.  When that happens, we should not shrink!  There is no middle
ground here.
We need our military to punish offenses and intimidate enemies.
But as bad as this loss has been, this country has suffered worse.  The
enemy once occupied Washington and burned the White House.  The greatest
loss of life occurred in the Civil War, brother against brother.  The
systems and character that emerged from these will emerge from this.  The
United States, for all its sins, is the best the world has to offer.
We should be of good cheer.  We should go about our usual functions and
conduct ourselves with confidence and spirit.  This is what Winston
Churchill told the British to do in W.W.II.  Remember that we are ENDURANCE
RIDERS, we don't shrink from a difficult challenge.  Neither do our horses,
there is NO QUIT OUR CABALLOS and there should be none in us.
God Bless America.
Tony