Trailering and dehydration

> btw -- what do you consider clinically dehydrated.....exactly?

For research purposes, a horse with serum albumin levels above 3.8 mg/dl is
technically dehydrated, although he would have to have significantly
elevated albumin for it to be a real concern.  Dehydration is the only thing
that will
elevate albumin.  There were *alot* of horses that started Tevis with
albumin levels well over 4.0, but I couldn't tell you yet how well those
horses did.  I also can't correlate serum albumin to any particular
hydration score, though we hope to be able to do that.  We think we're
seeing a some hydration curves that applies fairly consistently to all the
horses, but just don't know yet.  We haven't gotten that far in analysis yet
(the numbers just started getting input into the database last week).

BTW, for everybody that participated in the study, Cilla the Database
Goddess is almost done inputting everything, as soon as she is, we'll start
sending out the lab reports, along with average values for the rest of the
field so you can see where your horse stands.  Hopefully, we'll have some
conclusions by December.

I was scheduled to talk about supplements at the Reno convention this year,
but if we turn up anything interesting, maybe I'll talk about this instead.

Susan G