Re: RC: Sand as Stall Footing/Colic Question.

Kathy - we filled all of my pens with sand several years ago.  It's
wonderful as it drains quickly and gets firm fast.   We get flood rains
here several times a year and it's nice to even be able to use the round
pen the next day!  I have only had one case of sand colic (out of nearly
20 horses coming and going over the course of several years).  I don't
see sand as a problem; however, if you think it may be, you can take some
precautions.  Make sure the hay is fed either in the stall on the
shavings or in a rack or have a muck bucket set out in the run for the
hay to be set in.  Same for food.  Minimize any reason your horse would
have for eating off the sand.  Every horse is an individual case, so I
would never say sand won't cause a problem because I haven't had a
problem.  Do what you can to ease your mind, then just enjoy your horse!
:o)

Rae
Tall C Arabians - SE TX