Funny smelling beet pulp

I noticed this stuff smells fishy.

The thing that irritates me about the feed store is that since April, when we got into horses, sheep, goats, and barnyard fowl, I've literally spent thousands of dollars with them.  I've purchased tack, hay bags, supplements, fly spray, birds, feed, all my hay, not to mention an entire round pen and they are willing to lose my business for an $11 bag of beet pulp!

Fortunately, I have not run out of the pellets and am trying to find another supplier.  I just cannot believe that feeding horses wood shavings is healthy.  I'm just glad I noticed the wood and I have not fed them any of the stuff at all.  If there is wood in the pellets then it must be ground very fine.  Not a thought I relish either.

The big question is where do I dispose of a #50 pound bag of beet pulp?  Does this stuff burn?  We are building a super cool John Wayne fire pit, complete with great big logs encircling it sit on and maybe can use the beet pulp as kindling.  BTW, everyone is invited over on any cold fall evening for fine wine and conversion around the firepit!

Kris

"When life gives you great big dead mesquite trees build a fire pit and have a party!"