Re: RC: Electrolytes for People

Hi Linda; Here in the hospital we encourage our patients to drink Gatorade,
because it is easily tolerated, and it does have some medical benefit.
Koolaid only has coloring and whatever sugar you add for the most part. I
take Gatorade on rides usually diluted with water because it is too full of
sugar for me. I tried the  Ultima Replenisher and it was extremely
nauseating. I would suggest to anybody before they buy that expensive stuff
that they try a single dose pack, or a sample pack to see if they can
stomach it.  It tasted a little better when I diluted it with Gatorade.  I
find that drinking a lot, and before you get thirsty is a good policy.  I
don't drink straight water all day in large quantities because of avoiding
hyponatremia ( ever get swollen fingers?)  and drinking gatorade, throwing a
banana, or some orange juice in my lunch box for potassium, and some salty
food like Fritos tends to keep me feeling great for hours even on real hot
days. You can also prehydrate yourself the day before a ride, avoid alcohol
and caffeine.   Beth Glover