Re: Re: Re: Spooking / Vision Problems

----- Original Message -----
From: <DVeritas@aol.com>
To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 1:07 PM
Subject: RC: Re: Re: Spooking / Vision Problems

>     I have always believed that not enough research has been done into
equine
> vision problems, particularly Nearsightedness.  Combine vision impairment,
> even slight, with acute hearing capabilities, a strong sense of smell and
> strong natural instinct with self-preservation and so-called "spooking" is
> the result.
>     "Spooking", I believe, can often be attributed to the above
combination.
>     If I'm right, how does one "fix" vision problems in horses.  Glasses?
> Contacts? Surgery?
>     Identifying vision problems is one thing...
>     "Correcting" them is another.
>     Breeding horses with good vision is as important as breeding them for
> "good minds" and legs, in my book, and not "overreacting" to visual
> stimulation is one of the telltale indicators of good vision.
>     But, I could be wrong about all of this.
>     If anyone has info on vision in horses reseach, I sure would love it
if
> they shared it.
>     Thanks,
>          Frank.

My guess is that this is dead-on.  Why does my horse always spin
in the same direction?  Why is he clearly more leery of his off side?
A 2 YO I groomed at Hollywood Park was clearly 10x's spookier
on one side than the other--you'd move to that side and you could
just feel him tense up.  I think he literally couldn't see or maybe hear
you when you were on that side.  (They called the vet in to examine
him but he couldn't find anything.)

But I, like you, have no data at all, and no idea where to find it or if it
even exists.

What kind of tests, if any, can a vet perform to check vision and hearing?

Linda B. Merims
lbm@naisp.net
Massachusetts, USA