RE: Spooking - Spook and Spin

Title: RE: Spooking - Spook and Spin

Hey – it’s an individual choice and you’ve got to decide whether or not it’s worth risking your life and limb to become a better rider.  I’m a firm believer that you could send a horse to the trainer but if you aren’t trained yourself, the horse may just fall back into his old pattern with you.

I suffered through learning to ride a green horse while being green myself.  Now that I’ve done it, I’ve conquered my horse spooking fears, but really have no desire to keep a horse that wants to continue to dump me.   I learned a lot from that experience and became a lot better rider because of it.  And I also started to find out what I really don’t like to have in a horse!  It gave me enough confidence to break a 4 year old gelding myself without hardly any professional help.  This horse is not a spooker (but he puts up a good argument and I can argue all day myself so it’s a good match.)

I think this is a good time to start being honest with yourself.  You may decide it might be both in your horses interest and yours to let your horse go down the road to a tougher rider.  Or you may have to be determined in yourself to conquer the spooking.  I suggest you get a good Parelli trainer.

K.