Re: RC: Re: RE: RE: Bibliographies on Barefoot Info for Sue, Truman, etc.

Hello Susan,

Saturday, September 29, 2001, 10:56:04 AM, you wrote:

Susan,
I am very glad that you are on this list and can help us to sort out
some of the things that we are told or read. Since a lot of us do not
have the background and knowledge to do this ourselves, I am very
appriciative of your help and input in these matters. Thank you for
taking the time to write about the things that you know and have
researched.

Lynette

SG> This is one of the excerpts I was sent:

SG> negative effects of contraction, p 164):"-reduced horn production, causing
SG> an excess of proteins in the bloodstream (that would normally be "used up"
SG> in horn production); this must be eliminated by other organs (skin and
SG> kidneys, etc.), overstressing them"then goes on to say how this also leads
SG> to a predisposition for laminitis, skin problems, general metabolic
SG> problems, disruption of liver function (can result in frequent colicking)

SG> And from another post (not from you, but as I said, I'm sorting lumping alot
SG> of these together):

SG> 'But, I
SG> know I repeated the basic theory correctly:  That the
SG> body systems have to work much harder to dispell what
SG> the body was suppose to use to produce hoof horn when
SG> it can't be diseminated properly due to reduced
SG> circulation in a shod horse.  The person who is
SG> responsibile for this theory also made a lot of
SG> correlations between founder/laminitis/colic and the
SG> shod horse. '

>> But, I never (but perhaps Strasser implied??) that a rasp should come
SG> first
>> in the event of chronic laminitis, etc.

SG> I haven't read the book, so don't know.  I certainly hope not.  But given
SG> the...how shall we say...exalted flavor of some of the posts I've received
SG> privately, I can very well see someone thinking they can solve all ills with
SG> trimming instead of more appropriate allopathic medicine.  I've seen it
SG> happen with nutrition fad theories, totally unsupported by very basic
SG> science, that promise incredible results and it's the horse that pays for it
SG> in the end.  Just this morning someone sent me an excerpt from a supplement
SG> companies website where they claim sodium is converted to magnesium---which
SG> anyone who's ever taken freshman chemistry knows doesn't happen outside a
SG> supernova.  It's amazing what people will claim, and often get away with.

SG> Look, I don't care if people duct tape Reeboks on their horse's feet to make
SG> it move right.  My only objection is when smoke and mirrors are used to sell
SG> an idea or product, when if a theory is strong enough, straightforward
SG> science should have been enough.  As always, JMO.

SG> Susan G

Best regards,
 Lynette                            mailto:helgeson@ndak.net