Riding Tights

For many years (too many to mention), I rode "Western" in boots and
jeans. Being a North Carolina Country Boy (and proud of it), I just
didn't know anything else. Riding was SIMPLE in those days....just throw
on the hair pad, western saddle, pull on your boots and go do it.
Barrels, Poles, Mail Bags,...we were tough....spent more time getting
tossed off for various reasons than in the saddle.

Then I discovered Endurance and life became complicated.  I quickly
discovered that although looking like my all-time hero Hopalong Cassidy
was cool, it didn't WORK quite as well with me as it did with
Hoppy....especially when we got into the longer distances and we weren't
WALKING.  I was tired of sacrificing the skin on my legs. I timidly
tried on a pair of tights.  Although I felt they made me look like an
anemic Superman, I nevertheless thought I would give them a try
privately before I appeared in public with them.

The first setback was when I went out to catch my horse, a very nice
Quarter mare named Kip. Kip broke me in and we did 25's and slow 50's.
She usually came running over and stuck her head in the halter without
even being asked.  Kip got close, gave me a "deer in the headights" look
and headed for the far reaches of the pasture.  Well, I was just
devastated...but I perservered and Kip eventually condescended to be
seen in public with me.

The second problem was that being naturally low in body fat and having
bony knees, another problem arose.  Then I discovered Jan's Saddle
Covers, and the rest is history.  I got over the appearance problem by
promising myself I would never look in the mirror while wearing them.

The third problem was finding a pair that I liked.  They had patches or
pads, were too hot in summer, were too cold in winter, were too loose,
made me sweaty, rode up my shins, etc.  I spend a fortune on tights
trying to find some that I liked.  (I have been known to duct tape a
pair on occasion) I hated wearing them in winter, because I had to wear
something else over them to stay warm.

I finally resolved the problem, thus the reason for this post...to
perhaps spare some of you the misery I have been through.  I'm sure you
know that buying something from one company by mail usually results in
numerous catalogs from companies of like intent.  These catalogs usually
get a brief perusal, then into the circular file.  One day I was bored,
it was snowing, and I picked up the mail which contained a catalog from
a company called "Early Winters".

Being out of reading material, I retired to my chair with proper
refreshment and with the cat snoring away in my lap, in desperation
browsed through the catalog.  I noticed they sold a different type of
tights.  Most tights are made up of cotton/lycra.  These were made of
polypropylene/lycra. Those of us who are into underwear, particularly
longjohns, know that polypropylene has the capability of keeping you
warm but wicking moisture away from your skin.  That is, you never get
your longjohns wet with sweat. On a whim, I order a pair....after going
through so many different types, what the heck...try one more.  They are
about $45.

I had forgotten about ordering them till they showed up UPS about a week
later.  I tried them and was estatic.  Not only did they have strong
elastic around the ankles, but they conformed to my "curves" <snicker>
without wrinkling, were more substantial than any tights I had ever
worn, and I didn't have any moisture between my saddle cover and legs.
They had flat sewn seams on the inside and most of all, I could ride in
all but the coldest weather without anything else.  Being a "run with
your horse" person, this was wonderful! Freedom, finally!  I immediately
ordered two more pair and wore them all winter. Amazingly enough, I
continued wearing them through the summer. Except for being black, which
makes the top of your legs a little warm, I was not uncomfortable, so
now I wear them year 'round. They are GREAT for running with your horse.
They are called "Trainer Tights" and provide a "support hose"
feel...very elastic.  They even have a reflective patch on the lower
calf.

You can get the more info on them at:

http://www.earlywinters.com//index.asp?BH=true&uid=2C03611E-F22F-11D4-AD3F-009027E291A2

They are a little "slick" when you first wear them, but that goes away
after you wear them a little.  Also recommend you wash them in woolite
and don't put them in the dryer (they dry quickly) for longer life.
They do not retain odor so you can get away with wearing them a week
without your horse or riding buddies complaining. They are apparently
"ripstop" also, because tears just become little holes.  The lycra will
lose it's elasticity long before you wear them out.  When they start
wrinkling under your knees, it's time for another pair.

There is also a shirt made of the same material.  I have one but seldom
wear it because its TOO warm a layer unless it's very cold.  I have worn
the tights when it was so cold up on the mountain the water bottles
froze and was not uncomfortable.  I wear them with compression shorts
underneath, and I recommend you use some time of thin elastic underwear
under them.

Pick up a pair of Ariat Extremes and some cushion socks to go with them
and you're ready to ride, really ride!

Jim and Sun of Dimanche