From: Bob Morris [mailto:bobmorris@rmci.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 9:42 AM
To: Kathy Mayeda; DVeritas@aol.com; ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RE: RE: THE LD FIRESTORM/SAVVY DUCK

Kathy:

You stated     <<<There are a lot of experienced
riders here that didn't even blink or comment on that because they
know that the vet is there to help prevent bad things happening to the
horse and to educate new riders and remind experienced riders to
pay attention. >>>>

This, to my mind is what the discussion is  all about! I have to
emphatically disagree with your statement.

First, the vet is not there to help prevent bad things happening to the
horse. The Vet is there "to ensure the health and welfare of the horses"
(excerpted from the Vet manual) It is the riders responsibility, "the
competitor is totally responsible for self and mount before, during and
after an endurance ride". (excerpted from the AERC Rules and Regulations
preamble)

Education starts at home before you ever go to a ride. Education starts as
far back as the first time you log on to Ride Camp!

I will agree that the Vet can be there to "remind experienced riders to pay
attention". That is a never ending job.

To depend on the Vetting at a ride to protect your horse is false security.
That is why some of the Vets like Dave get a bit upset with the attitude of
some riders. The vet has a responsibility to ALL horses at a ride not to
singular ones that the rider gets into trouble. The sooner the riders absorb
this the sooner we will have rides free from the necessity of treating
horses.

There are the singular and unusual cases that do occur as Barbara M. pointed
out. These are few and far between. These are not the ones of great concern.

A good philosophy for riders to use is to ride in competition as if there
were no vets available!

Bob Morris