Re: Duckrant

CMNewell writes:

> Well, you got it half right. It ain't my job to lecture and belittle.
>
> But it's damnsure *your* job to maintain your horse's health.
> So if you expect the DVM to keep your horse alive, then be prepared for
the
> rant, because it will come.
>                    --CMNewell, DVM

I agree with about 90% of this.......becuase best as we all try......there
are things occasionally that we fail to pick up on
(example of time horse tied up on me with no external symptoms-also passed
vet trot by-attitude great, and was not detected until vet check when
hovering heart rate caused checking vet to order me to dump cold water all
over the horse to "cool" it down, against my better judgement. Then the
cramping was obvious.......)

There are horses that move great, good P & R's, finish rides with terrific
scores; and crash right after.......

There are ongoing problems that owners fail to detect,and even vets fail to
detect......

Believe me, I have the upmost respect for vets, and in my years  of horses
ownership have relyed on then heavily, but there have been times they are
just perplexed at to what is going on (horse that might have had fractured
pelvis or spinal cord injury from vaccine), (border's horse that colicked,
vet did not do rectal exam, so missed impaction, horse was not treated
correctly; later vet failed to do belly tap, which would have shown caecum
had ruptured).

None of us are gods, we are all human!  It does no good to blame owners or
vets, we all feel bad enough when s&*t happens!

Karen