THE LD FIRESTORM AND VETS

Debbie Ekhaml Dekarab@home.com
I really didn't want to get the tired controversy going again, but after reading the posts, maybe it wasn't a bad thing.  Expressing opinions is one way of educating each other and with newbies coming on board constantly, that's a positive thing!  I didn't mean to imply that ALL LDers are slammed.  There are some
great helpful people out there.  My analogy about 10K and marathons may have been a bit misunderstood too.  I have been a runner my entire life from the 100 yd dash to marathons.  If I didn't have a good base doing 10 or 20K's, I would have died at the marathon.  That's what I meant.  I am starting my 4th season
and I respect the seasoned Vets like Barney, Jaimie Kerr, and even the Duck.  However, they are human and occasionally make
mistakes (gasp!) I admit, I haven't had much experience with the Duck and he of course is welcome to his opinion.  I just felt
he chose the wrong forum to go off.  I'm not saying you have to coddle riders, but he was out there.  This is not the army, we are supposed to be enjoying ourselves.  A vet has great power to
use the ride meetings to educate; new people look to them for guidance.  Some are going to do whatever
no matter what a vet says.  I just hate to see new riders turned off.  Our membership is growing; we will have growing pains.  I
am always willing to answer any newbies questions as we all should.  I have learned tons of valuable stuff from a seasoned rider that lives near me and if it wasn't for her, would probably have not had the success I've enjoyed (thanks Theresa!)
But if she had talked to me like the Duck, I would have found
a more pleasurable hobby. It has been NICE to see the thoughtful
remarks and not the usual firestorm!  Ridecampers CAN actually be adults and have good debates-awesome!  Lets keep it up.  Besides, if I did all my training at home and didn't come to a ride until he was ready to do a 50, I would miss out on one of the main things I like about this sport-the camraderie and the
down to earth, wonderful group of people that chose this as their equestrian sport.  I gave my boy massive hugs today! DID YOU?  Deb and Razal (geez Mom, if I don't do good does that mean I don't get squeezed to death!)