Older Horses

Hello everyone,
My horse has entered the golden years he will be 15 in May.
Now his performance as an endurance horse has been great but
lately he has been taking longer to recover from 50 miles
or really long conditioning rides. When we enter in rides we
pretty much stay in the back of the pack when I got him before
he wanted in the front of the pack.
I have been conditioning the same way on him  sence I have gotten him 8
years ago. My new horse is 3 years old and he has the same mantality as
Polaris when he was younger.
Why do I not see very many older horses place in the top 10?
When is a good age to retire an endurance horse?

Colleen K. & Polaris (I may be old but I can still act like I am 3!!)