Regional Differences

At 10:30 AM -0500 1/22/01, BMcCrary27@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 01/21/2001 4:59:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>Michael.Maul@nsc.com writes:
>
><< t was
>  somewhat tricky since the PS region was born in that period. So I
>  combined the PS, W and SW. If I remember correctly the PS wa made up of
>  the W and SW when it was created. Is that correct? >>
>
>The PS region was created entirely from the western part of the SW region,
>i.e. southern CA and southern NV.  The west region has stayed the same as it
>has been within my memory, perhaps since its original founding.
>
>Barbara

1. Can you explain how San Jose is part of Southern California,
Barbara?  Last I looked, it was in the Bay Area.

I like the folks from up thataway, but they mostly go to Western
region rides, don't see 'em down here except at Ridgecrest, or the
multidays at DVE and Vegas.  Hard to consider us as part of the same
region--and the last Pan Am PS team was all from up nawth.

2.  Re: the mentoring, or matching up of newbies with
oldtimers--those of you who are not ride managers may not know what
goes on behind the scenes in this regard--the educating of people who
want to try the sport for the first time, and this sort of matching
up is routine for us.  As is finding sponsors for juniors (often last
minute) or trailer rides for entrants that have lost their ride.  Or
training partners for people new to the area.  The Education
Committee is working on ways to formalize this sort of
familiarization before membership, and we've had the mentor page at
endurance.net for a long time.

3.  Thanks, Linda (and Rosie) for telling it how it usually is, at PS
LDs.  There were no horses treated at Fire Mtn this year in any
distance.  A first-to-pulse-down time of 4 hours matches my first 20
Mule Team 30 on a small mule, several years ago, which was back o'
the pack!  Novice ride manager Sue Benson did a fine job of managing
the details.

Lynne
PS--really South