Re: Fire Mt LD

    A couple comments, I was at the ride meeting so I heard everything.

   First I think people are overly sensitive regarding their distances. Duck was pretty uniform in discussing speed hurting horses and shorter distances seemed to allow people to take unfit horses fast until it was too late.  But he tried to not forget any group so they would all be pissed off at him equally.

     The people that keep complaining on RC about the LD problem need to become ride managers. After they host a few rides, deal with the problems, maybe they will be a little more understanding and not so critical. Especially after they receive their huge salary from being a ride manager.

     Tammy below has the right because she hosts a ride, even though she wasn't at the ride meeting, but in response to her question below, the question that got the vet started on short distances hurting horses was the following question from a 15 mile rider to the vet.  There was a 15 mile trail ride along the same first loop as the endurance and LD ride. And the 15 mile riders started with the LD riders according to the info given at the ride meeting.

       The question was: "Is there a minimum time for the 15 mile ride?"

   So in response to Tammys question, the vet felt his right and responsibility (his job) was to discuss what racing a horse in the 15 mile ride by a person who was not entered in the AERC sanctioned rides, and probably had never done any AERC ride could do to her horse.   Tammy in her normal tactful manner might have been more "sensitive" but I don't think her basic answer would have been much different.

   Jim Mitchell