Re: RC: LD AND OPINIONS

In a message dated 01/21/2001 10:09:59 PM Pacific Standard Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< I was dismayed however, to listen to the Duck give a 15 minute diatribe
about how bad LD was
 and how "many more horse deaths occurred from LD than Endurance" how LDers
overide their horses etc.  What?  I guess I don't understand how doing a fast
50 on a 5 year old (which in my opinion is way too young to be doing a 50
since most Arabs don't mature until 6-7)is any different than doing a fast
25.  >>

I was unaware that there WERE more horse deaths on LD rides than endurance
rides!  Is there any documentation to prove this?
I think one of the reasons that LD rides should not be viewed as races is
that most horses can do 25-35 miles, and some of them can do it fast.  It's
the last 15 miles that separates the fit and conditioned from the unfit.  I
just hate to see LD rides used as racetracks, partly becasue I feel it's not
in the best interest of the horses, and partly because it's pretty disruptive
for racers to go galloping by others who are out on that trail for other
reasons.....to introduce young horses (who do not need the stimulation of
seeing other horses being ridden hard and fast), to return rehabilitated
horses into competition, or to be out on the trail having a lovely extended
pleasure ride (for those not inclined to greater distances or unable, by
physical limitations, to do so).
And I certainly agree that 50 is too young to be doing a 50 mile ride, but I
wouldn't go so far as to propose making it a rule to raise the minimum age
limit.  It's just that personally, having raised or brought along several
Arabs from birth or youth, I would not take the average 5 year old into a 50
miler.  I guess it depends on the maturity of that particular animal, mostly
the mental maturity.  I don't relish the idea of riding a horse that is not
mentally ready for the challenge.  In other words, I want control, not
hysteria.  It's for my own safety, as well as the horse's wlefare.  I rode a
home-bred mare in her first 55 at the age of 5 1/2 several years ago, and I
recently rode a home-bred gelding in his first 50 at age 6 1/2. The was quite
a bit of difference in physical capability of the two horses, based on their
respective ages.  The older horse did a much more competent job than the
younger, and over more challenging terrain.
Just my opinions and observations.........

Barbara