Re: Fw: slow LD - Long Message

My horse HAS been first and second AND won BC and did so easily.  In fact,
he BC'd 4 LDs last year and was first or second in all (he was second in the
ones in which we pulsed my daughter's gelding down first) and since LD is a
new concept in Michigan (or rather not new but just catching on), we were
the only riders in one ride.  In all cases, my horse ran within his
capabilities and this year he will be doing 50s and maybe an occasional 25
for fun and a tune up.  We rode good rides and he deserved the BCs and the
"award" made no difference to me though we did receive some neat stuff
anyway.   I have never seen the people described in the posts that describe
LD riders as inconsiderate, irresponsible, dangerous, etc.  I am sure they
are out there but I have seen far more 50s go hell bent for leather than 25
milers.   I know we get into this discussion intermittently on ridecamp and
it is not my intention to start a discussion about it only to remind people
not to generalize what they have seen as being gospel truth everywhere you
go because there is always that exception.  If we follow the rules in
running LD rides (and by the way, all the LD rides I have done have a vet
check at 12 or 15 miles with at least a 20-30 minute hold), and follow the
pulse down criteria, coming in first or top ten means zilch!  The finish is
determined by the order of pulsing down....not by who crosses the finish
line when.  I would like to see some consistency though in ride results as
some ride managers report order of finish while some report order of BC
scoring.  That's something that should be uniform in my opinion.  FWIW
anyway!!  Which isn't more than 2 cents!!!  :)
Maggie