Re: zebras

Believe it or not, Steph, this is endurance-related!

> Actually, I think it's the Rhino that's supposed to be kin to horses..and
looks a lot more like it's kin to a hippo. :-) <

Absolutely right, Angie.  Mark has even watched a black rhino have a bucking
spree once.  He said Toc's bucks were more impressive.

>>Seems like I read somewhere that when someone was training zebras that he
took their water away from them and used it as a reward...it was the only
thing they missed enough to give in....<<

We recently had a chat with a game ranger in a local reserve, who told us a
little African folk-lore.  According to this African ranger, the reason the
Zebra is the only herbivore who does NOT lose weight in Winter, is because
it self-electrolytes in a unique way.  According to Gideon, the Zebra will
lick the skin of pythons who come out to bask in the sun, thereby taking in
sufficient electolytes to stimlate appetite and to ensure that the zebras
graze properly, unlike the Wildebeeste and Impala, who will just pick at the
yucky winter grazing.

Personally, I think Gideon's more full of poop than a rhino midden, but I
didn't feel qualified to argue, and I thought Susan G might get a kick out
of the story, so...

On an entirely different note, and one which will probably kick up a storm,
Zebra is absolutely delicious...both the black and white meat.

Tracey
(running and ducking!!!!)