Re: RC: LD..last word

> A narrow, twisting course would slow it down , logistically tough >in
some areas.  To really slow it , a "snail" horse could go first, no one >
could pass

Ha! We had a trail that was no more than a deer trail on the side of a
BIG mountain at Tellico Plains. The 25 miler was an "out and back" trail.
We had some REALLY slow (going over time) people still on their way out
when the front runners were headed back on that section. The front
runners were cantering on a trail that would be described as a winding
foot trail and they didn't even slow down when they met the slow people
going the other direction...just veared up onto the *steep* bank and kept
going.

When someone does a really fast LD and their horse is fine I don't
necessarily think they over-rode their horse speed-wise, they simply
under rode him distance wise. If a fifteen year old boy played in a
little league game and was hitting everything over the fence, he doesn't
need to swing easier, he needs to move up a level in competition.  If
they honestly think they're going easy on their horse by doing a year or
two of LD before doing 50's they're mistaken. A fast LD is a lot more
likely to do  permanent damage than an easy 50.  As far as starting a
Jr...I started my 10 year old daughter on 50's rather than 25's partly
because I think the other riders are safer to ride with. I'd feel a lot
better if she could ride with the people who do 100's.

Angie
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.