RC: Barefoot/verses steel

Another perspective here:

From the 3-day clinic I attended and the books I've studied on topic so far,
it is my understanding that in having a hoof shod, it is inherent that in
protecting the wall from wear that they grow longer than they would in
nature.  I've also read somewhat seemingly contradictory information that
supports that a shod hoof does not grow as quickly as unshod hooves.  I
guess until I devote my life to pursuing these endless experiments (not in
this lifetime, anyway!), I might never know for sure unless I have someone
else's documented research to peruse.  Oh, well.

Karen, by the way, it might help those of us out here who are unfamiliar
with your experience with wild horses if you would provide us with your
documented findings of the percentage of the wild horses in the herd who
were "lame as all get out".  Was this a study you were participating in?
Who else was involved?  Was there anything published on this that you could
refer us to?  I'm just curious, as phrases such as "a lot of them" just
aren't as quantifiable as we need in a forum such as this, and can only be
considered as rhetoric unless something is given to substantiate it.  No
offence meant whatsoever.

The information I provided in the first paragraph was taken from Dr.
Strasser's book, "A Lifetime of Soundness; The Keys to Optimal Horse Health,
Lameness Rehabilitation and the High-Performance Barefoot Horse."  Third
Edition (Revised), January 2000.  I have taken the liberty of providing a
partial list of her Bibliography in a previous post, but will happily
provide it again upon request.  That way, those who are interested in
educating themselves further, can.

Kindest Regards,

Tracey Ritter
Portland, OR