Re: RC: Fwd: RC: Barefoot/verses steel

At 07:08 AM 09/28/2001 -0500, Lynette Helgeson wrote:
>But in Kat's post she claims that her
>horses naturally travel 100 miles a day in her pasture.  So which is
>it? My self I would believe Kat, in that horses travel that far in a
>day, naturally, while they are grazing and going to water.

Only if that was a typo!  Wild horses go between 20 and 30 miles a day.  I
can speak from experience when I say that the wild horses feet here look
like hell.  They are broken, chipped, split and a lot of them are lame as
all get out.  Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if the
wild horses feet look like that, then what would my horses feet look like
if I took their shoes off and rode them even longer distances over the same
country?

Also, I have to agree with Maggie's post about horses hoof growth.  This
summer my horses had to be reshod every 3 weeks due to tremendous hoof
growth.  They are now on a 4 week schedule.  Their feet look pretty darn
good too.