Shoes required?

I think the bigger issue here, and one that we've only touched on, is the
idea that some RM may not allow an unshod horse to start their ride.

I guess I don't understand the reasoning for this line of thought. As
Truman suggested - let'em start and let the  trail sort them out. If the
reasoning is "don't let them start since I, as RM, don't think they'll make
it" then horses that are underweight before the start of a 50 or 100 miler,
slightly off at vet-in (on the premise that they can start and go as long
as it doesn't get worse), or have horribly overdue shoeing jobs, shouldn't
be allowed to start either. Same premise.

I don't know if my horse can do many (or any) rides barefoot (or
rather,unshod but possibly with an alternative hoof protection if needed)
but I'd like to find out since there are lots of things I like about him
being barefoot. <shrug> If he cannot do rides this way then I'll readjust
my goals and either shoe, ride shorter distances or change sports :) Simple
as that.

I'd like to know if any RM out there actually require _shoes_ or if those
with tough trails are just requiring hoof protection (which would allow for
riding an unshod horse in boots, if need be).

Tina
tina@autoairbagcovers.com