Dressage

You guys have helped me in the past, so here goes:
I plan on taking some dressage lessons, probably in the spring ($$ is tight)
to help develop my horse's movements and my own riding. I have never taken
dressage before, and don't know anything really about it, neither does my
horse. We've been riding together for 4 years now, and sort of jumped into
the sport of endurance 3 years ago without taking the extra time to get all
of the important basics down. Of course, being new, I didn't realize how
important they would be. Are there any basic exercises that I can do now,
until I take lessons this spring? I don't know if this is something you can
explain over an email, but any info would be appreciated.
Thanks ahead of time, Brittany