Re: RC: Worming

At 03:42 PM 09/25/2001 -0500, Angie Nathe wrote:
>Why would you worm the horse again if you are not sure if it is wormy or
>not?  I can take a stool sample to my vet and have results in 15 minutes
>for $10 as to whether my horse is wormy or not then I don't have to worm
>her when she doesn't need it.  I have also heard of places you can mail it
>if your vet doesn't provide this service.
>Doesn't this work better?  I'm a kinda newbie so I am seriously asking not
>trying to be snide.  This is just what I was taught to do.

That test won't tell you if the horse has encysted strongyles.

Another recommendation.  If you've never done a 5 day purge, or are unsure
of a horses past worming history, it's a good idea to give a single dose
the week before.  That way you reduce the load if there is one, and reduce
the chance of a colic, etc.

If you purchase the panacur in liquid form (for cattle), it's a lot
cheaper.  You only have to figure out how many tablespoons to give per
horse.  I've done 4 different horses and they have always eaten it up when
mixed into their food.