Re: RC: wormer question

I would HIGHLY recommend a Panacur treatment for this horse.  That consists of giving TWICE the recommended dosage to the horse for FIVE days straight.  I've done this after having read about it in a magazine article (Can't remember which one now, it was several years ago) and then consulting several local vets.  Panacur is a paste dewormer that has no lethal dosage, thus the double dose will not harm the horse.  The reasoning behind this is the gestation period of the small strongyles (sp).  A one-day treatment will get some/most but not the ones in gestation.  The Panacur treatment for 5 days will not only get the existing worms but also immediately kill any new ones that hatch in the meantime.

This is somewhat the same reasoning as the daily wormers but since I only supplement my mare's hay when she's working I don't want to start having to feed a daily wormer.  Also the cost can add up quickly.  I typically do the Panacur treatment in late March or early April when the weather starts to warm and then use Zimectrin every two months (whenever the shoer comes).  You can buy the large Panacur Treatment Pack (extra large syringe) from Valley Vet Supply.

Crysta & Sugar

P.S.  I was speaking with a very active endurance rider a couple of weeks ago at the VC 100 and his vet had directly recommended this treatment to rid his horse of it strongyle infection.