the big choice...long

This may open up some great debate about which horses are ideally suited to
endurance and I think we might all learn something from each other.
My history-I'm 32, been riding since I was two-really-competing at 4. I have
two mares, both grey Arabians here at my house. I have two small kids, 19
months and 3 and a half. So, I am just now getting to starting conditioning
for serious competition next summer as the kids will be old enough to leave
for a couple nights at a time. I'm experienced with ETI trail trials and
lots and lots of at home mountainous conditioning. I ride for about three
hours several times per week. I don't have time to keep both mares in peak
condition, but can keep one really fit and ready and the other fairly fit.
Hard work though! I do one 4 to five hour ride per month at least.
Here is the quandry-which mare seems more ideally suited to competition?
Mare 1---9 Years old, super fit, can go all day. Wonderful walk, BIG trot
and great canter. Trot is so big that it is hard to ride. Mare is a little
more reactive, spooks in place, can be fussy, but does not refuse obstacles,
can do water, can jump. Does all terrain like a mountain goat. Very forward,
probably would be a great dressage horse and can do ring work with ease. Is
in good flesh and stays that way. Good feet, needs shoes. Goes in a snaffle,
and we have been together for three years. I started her myself, so we have
a good rapport. Will go anywhere in the pack without fuss. Good ground
manners, but can be scared or intimidated easy. Not the alpha mare. Good
conformation, could have better withers and more bone, but it fits her, very
delicate looking mare, but tough. Does not panic-even got a rope around back
leg the other day and sat while I got off and freed her. Won't pee with me
on her and won't drink for a long while. More excitable and forward.

Mare 2 is seven, had her since January. Never seen a horse more born broke.
Nothing bugs her, not spooky, very mellow. Food whore-obsessed with food and
consequently eats, drinks, pees and poops on trail. Greenbroke, good on
trail, but has not been arena worked and taught to carry herself well yet.
Goes in a sidepull. Going to be a stellar kids horse, and everyone that
rides her wants to buy her., amazing temperament, and easy to ride.
She isn't as fun for me though, wants to hang back, look around and mosey.
Slow walk-AMAZING trot (smooth as a gaited horse, even fully extended I
could drink a glass of champagne) OK canter, kind of rough, but I think it's
because she is notrounding up enough yet. Goes barefoot. More alpha of the
two, but still respectful. That isn't an option with me. Nice bone, nice
wither, super short back. Easy keeper, stays fat on nothing. Not as
conditioned so she tires easier and gets girth galls.

Both mares do mountains, water, dogs, heavy traffic, even walking through
construction sites with semis barreling through right next to them. Both
about the same size, and neither has been lame a day since I got them. So,
which is better suited? An antsy-er mare, not as calm, but forward and has
stamina for days? Or the calmer one who does it all, but shows no passion
for it? I can't keep both ready for rides, but can keep one really fit and
the other decently so. This is kind of a great situation-to have two such
great mounts, but hard to select one over the other. HELP!
Decisions, decisions-Tiffany