hock-arthritis?

Hi All,
My 14 year old tb gelding has been diagnosed with arthritis in his right hock.  The joint has already started to fuse, which many of you know can be good and bad. (and painful)  I had him injected last Thursday with hyalaouronic acid (sp) and steroid.  He is now running around like a two year old--just feeling great!  However it is debatable how long it will last and with the joint fusing it is not likely that they will be able to get another needle in for injecting. My main concern is keeping him comfortable and pain free.  I wanted to hear peoples experience (successful or unsuccessful)with this and what you have done for treatments, (joint fusion surgery, supplements, excercises). Any insight would be appreciated!
Thank you,
Lindsey