Dually truck towing capacity

We've had it.  My current 3/4 ton truck has turned
into too many hassles and has spent too much of its
life in the shop for repairs.  We've had to cancel too
many trips because the truck was out for the count.
We're planning on trading it in (long before we had
originally planned) for something new this coming
Spring.

We are considering the differences between trailer
hauling abilities of a truck with dual rear wheels
versus single rear wheels.  We plan to buy a 2002
model 1 ton truck - either Ford or GMC, 8' bed, crew
cab, diesel with a manual transmission & 4X4.

Our current trailer is a Sundowner aluminum tag-a-long
with a large dressing room (we sleep in it) and a 2 H
slant load box.  However, we plan to trade up to a 3H
slant aluminum with a weekender package or living
quarters in the not too distant future.  We want to be
certain that we have the best truck for the job.

Is there a significant difference in the dual wheels
axles?  (Other than taking up more parking room?)  Is
it significant enough to warrant the extra trouble of
parking a wide truck?

Comments & suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Linda Flemmer