Re: are electrolytes a must?

>>>I know we've all had elyte supplementing pounded into our heads, (I give them just about every time my horse drinks at a ride.) But there are people who are doing very well at rides WITHOUT supplementing elytes. I crewed for a very experienced rider at Swanton 100 this year and her instructions were to put elytes in a bucket of water and offer it to the horse, if the horse didn't want it she didn't get elytes. I don't remember the horse drinking any of the mixture so she  only got whatever elytes were naturally in her hay and grain ( this horse did EAT, like a pig.) >>>

I also have found that our horses do perform better with putting the elytes in a bucket of water rather than syringing them. However, when given a choice they usually stick to plain water. My guy has done all his rides with no "forced" elytes, and his hydration is always excellent. Just did Bear Valley 50 yesterday --- it was pretty warm. I gave no elytes all day, he didn't want any electrolyte water either. He ended up with straight A's all day. I have not ever syringed elecrtolyted him at a ride to know if there is a difference than not elyting.

My boyfriend's mare looks really horrible after syringe elyting her. She stops wanting to eat, her drinking goes way down, and she would always "hit the wall " soon after elyting her for some reason. He stopped giving her syringed 'elytes starting at Tevis last year, and offered elyte water instead. I know this was a huge chance to take on his part, but her hydration was good the whole way, and she completed the ride. Her eating and drinking was definately better . He attempted Swanton 100 last year, and had also not elyted at all. Her vet scores were very good, and her eating and drinking much improved this time. He was second place at the 69 mile mark, and pulled her since she tripped on a berm on the way into the vet check, and was a little off. Susan G. did a research project at that ride that year. This mare's blood test results came back  showing that sodium, potassium, chloride, stayed all within normal levels thruout the ride. Her sodium and chloride levels actually increased a tad at vet check 2 and 3. At the Bear Valley ride yesterday, she was a little dehydrated at the finish, but finished with an A- in hydration and B+ as an overall score. When he used to syringe eylite her, her scores were consistantly B's and C's in hydration. So, I wonder if in her case if "forcing" elytes in her was just overloading her or "shocking" her system? I know if I take in any elytes like Gatorade ect. I feel horrible, get stomach cramps, headaches, ect., and often "hit the wall " as well. It is so interesting how we are all so different creatures.

Robyn

>>>Horse and rider came in about 30 seconds after Heather Bergantz and Red  and looked great, so I am confidant she knows her horse and what she's doing. So it can be done, I don't know how, but it can.>>>

I would be interested to know how that horse would perform "with" elytes.  :)

Jennifer Kurtzhall

  Betsy O'Shea <betsy@micoks.net> wrote:

Yes, they are a must. there is good info on this in the achieves. I only
give my horse electrolytes for rides, starting the night before. I do not
give them daily. On rides I give an ounce or two every 10 miles. Horses
lose electrolytes in the sweat - and they lose A LOT- so your horse could be
in trouble unless you give electrolytes to replace what they are loosing.
Betsy
At 04:14 PM 9/22/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Fallon O'Duagal eventer62@hotmail.com
>I heard that you shouldn't give your horse electrolytes during a ride
>unless you had been giving him them in advance. But are electrolytes a
>must when on an endurance ride? I mean will my horse be defficiant in
>anything if I don't give him them during a ride?

>Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net! , http://www.endurance.net.

Betsy