barefoot

I've always wondered just how a metal shoe protects a hoof.  I understand that it was designed to protect the hoof wall from cracking, etc.

But the soles of the horses feet are still exposed to rocks, etc.  So why do those metal shoes prevent discomfort?

The only reasonable explanation I've heard for this is that the metal shoe reduces circulation to the lower extremeties enough that the hoof sole is actually numbed.  Anyone else have any theories or explanations?

I keep my arab barefoot with a correct trim, simply barefoot just doesn't do it.  I have seen many improvements because of it (still riding with boots alot of the time, and will until his hooves finally de-contract).

I've got to laugh at any suggestion that he is barefoot in order to save me money - I have seen many positive results with the Strasser method but unfortunately this isn't one of them :>) .  I have put forth more in terms of my time (learning about caring for his hooves correctly and then actually doing it) and money (training, tools, paying a professional who really knows what he's doing to trim and help me learn).

I understand Dot's and other's concern for the welfare of barefoot horses.  But someone has to trust that we owners are at least as concerned for their welfare and know what we're doing, and give us a chance to use what we've learned.

I hope that by the time I am ready to ride barefoot at a 50 that some ride manager will give us a chance.  I will always carry hoof boots in the event that they are needed - believe me, my horses welfare is among my greatest concerns.

Kathy and Gabriel